Friday, November 12, 2010

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind

Brace yourselves friends, because for the first time since... ever, I have some semblance of a plan for the future.

The plan was not made hastily or within the past couple of hours as most of my plans usually are. Rather, I like to think that everything I've learned and everything I've experienced has lead me to this path. I'll just cut to the chase now. I was talking with Dr. Gordon a couple weeks ago about how I had no idea what I wanted to focus on in school or what I wanted to be when I grow up, and she gave me the best advice anyone could have given me: Do what interests and excites you RIGHT NOW. Don't worry about a career just yet, because who knows what will happen. So I thought about my interests. I've got lots of them. I'm interested in animals, food and cooking, the French language, human evolution, theater, astronomy, music, genetics, writing, Jane Austen novels, medicine... tons more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. So after much deliberation and back and forth e-mailing with the pre-health advisor back at school, I've decided to start taking the prerequisite courses for a career in health care. I don't know for certain if medical school is even where I'll end up going after college, I just want to take the classes themselves. Who knows, I could discover a hidden passion for electromagnetism in my Physics class next year or perhaps I'll have a gift for balancing chemical equations (doubtful though... chemistry is the work of the devil). The point is, I'm focusing on the right now and the near future, not the distant future.

What sort of bearing will this have on my leave of absence from school? It's pretty simple actually... the big four prerequisites I need to take must be year long, and since I can't start a year long course in the middle of the year, I have to wait until next fall to take them. So I guess that is when I'm going back to school. In the meantime, I'm going to continue with little one semester courses back home here in Boston. I'll keep taking pysch, maybe some math (ew), possibly another anthropology class.

I like my plan. It's very open to possibilities. But wow, another WHOLE YEAR before I can physically return to New York? I guess it'll be good for me... I could take advantage of the time to really focus on eradicating the eating disorder. Speaking of which, still no binge or restriction episodes since my newfound health kick. And I haven't had many urges to binge because I'm not going hungry. Who knew that healthy eating was the solution to poor eating habits... although Thanksgibbers is in two weeks from yesterday and isn't that like national binge day? Oh god. I'm scared for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment