Tuesday, November 2, 2010

High points and low points

Ughhh. I am in a downward spiral of BINGEDOM. Curse you, Halloween. Curse you and your delicious sugary treats.

I made an appointment with the nutritionist I was seeing over the summer. Her name is Marci, and she is super nice and funny and doesn't call me fat so I like her pretty well. Unfortantely, she is going on vacation so our next appointment isn't until the 16th, which means I'm going to have to pull myself out of this behavior pit.

You guys will still keep reading my blog even though I don't seem to be getting any better, right? Even though all I do is binge and complain about it you won't stop reading? My eating disorder isn't all that interesting unfortunately. I never get horribly ill or hospitalized (which I know is a good thing obviously), but it can't be much fun to read about.

Tomorrow the MEDA support group is meeting so maybe I'll go to that.

So, I know I'm super ugly and chubby but I had a couple proud moments in the past 48 hours that aren't related to my appearance. For example, in class last night, my psych professor demonstrated the different techniques one can use to remember information (we're learning about consciousness and memory). She read aloud a list of random objects like snow, potato, library, and told half the class to try and estimate the number of vowels in each word. Then she told the other half to rate each object on a scale of 1 to 10 how useful that object would be if you were stranded on a desert island. Afterwards, we were asked to recall how many of the words we could remember. It turns out that the second group remembered 75% more words than the first group because the "desert island" scenario put the objects in a memorable context, as opposed to the first group, who were simply told to count vowel sounds. I was really tired and didn't feel much like engaging in silly class games but I participated anyways and ended up remembering the most words out of the other fifteen students in my group. My prof was like, "Wow, your memory is well above average." Why thank you ma'am. Thank you very much.

AND THEN TODAY, I was training this new employee at Angora who doesn't speak much English, and we were talking about foreign languages. She said she thought it was really cool that I could speak French, because all the Americans she knows were "too lazy" to bother learning another language. We talked about how scary it can be coming to a native country for the first time, and she said that talking to me made her feel less homesick. She said, "I talk to you and I forget my pain." Awwwwwwww.

Anyways, it's nice to know that no matter how disgusting I look, at least I still have some commendable inner qualities. That won't change. Looks can though! So I gotsta stop bingeing and get my rockin body back!

4 comments:

  1. I will keep on reading.

    I binged on salad the other night. I figured I wanted to binge so I said "self you want to binge, here's a whole bag of letuce." I ate the WHOLE BAG!!! But hey it was letuce so it was not as good as a whole bag of candy but better for me and I was full.

    Eh you can see where I'm going right? If you have to give in try a substitue food. It can help you think about what your doing instead of just numbing out the feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that's an awesome idea. My brother actually recommended something similar. He said whenever I'm feeling bingey to just eat an entire cucumber... haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, you're not fat and ugly!
    My blog/ED is super boring too (which I guess is a good thing) but I don't know, you keep reading. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol it's nice to know we all enjoy each other's humdrum lives :)

    ReplyDelete