Tuesday, September 21, 2010

BEST DAY EVER!

Today was an epic day. A day that will live in infamy. I'm so sad that's it's almost over! I'm trying to hard to milk whatever is left of it.

Lately, I've been feeling trapped and suffocated by my daily routine and anxieties, so in an effort to escape the downward spiral of doom, I decided to make today totally fun and exciting. I woke up at 7:30, because I wanted my best day ever to start off nice and early. I drove my mom to work so that I could have the car, and then I came home and brainstormed ideas of how to spend my precious day. I thought about things I used to do when I was younger and thinner and happier but haven't done recently because I've felt too poopy to bother. I settled on horseback riding, because I haven't ridden in years, and apparently it's therapeutic. After some diligent online research I found where I wanted to go, printed out the directions, packed a pb & j sandwich, and drove off into rural Massachusetts.

The farm is called Powderly Meadows :) It's about an hour south of Boston, in a little town called Lakeville that I'd never heard of until today. It's adorable! One of those quaint New England hamlets with a general store and a town hall that looks like a farmhouse. Powderly Meadows itself is only a couple side roads off of Main street, so it was easy to find and I called ahead so they were expecting me. I walked up the driveway, and was greeted at the barn by none other than Mr. Powderly himself. He introduced to a girl named Vanessa, who helped me saddle up and groom. She came with me on the ride, led me through some woodsy trails behind the farm, across fields and around swamps. We saw deer! We rode around for almost an hour and half just wandering through the countryside, talking about horses. At the end of the ride I practiced trotting around the fence, which was painful at first because it took me a while to remember how to bounce in sync with the horse, but I got the hang of it again more or less.

Once I was back inside the familiar confines of the city I went grocery shopping for dinner ingredients. After all, a perfect ending to a perfect day would be a perfect meal for everyone so I bought three pounds of sweet vedalia onions and fontina cheese then came home and made onion gratin with homemade bread crumbs. It was so yummers, especially since I cooked the onions in butter and white wine so they'd be extra soft and juicy.

Now I'm up in my room with Rachel, making friendship bracelets and listening the Hannah Montana soundtrack. Both of us have pretty much grown out of Miley Cyrus but we are feeling nostalgic.

No plans for tomorrow. I'll probably take it easy, maybe go to the gym if my ass isn't too black and blue.

1 comment: